David Murray Pilkey, or Dav Pilkey for the readers of his famous Captain Underpants book series, was born on March 4, 1966, to David and Barbara Pilkey. He grew up in Cleveland, Ohio but eventually moved to Washington where he met his wife Sayuri, the owner of his favourite Japanese restaurant and a professional musician.
While he was in elementary, he was diagnosed with and suffers from dyslexia and Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD). He was often scolded for his behavior in school and was always asked to stay outside in the hallway. His teacher even moved a desk there just for him where it remained in use for three years. He kept that desk well stocked with pencils, paper, magic markers, and crayons. He spent his detention time immersed in drawing to relieve his boredom, stapled together sheets of paper to make his own comic books filled with adventures of a group of superheroes. One of these creations was Captain Underpants, who was destined to be a big hit in later years.
A life-altering event happened during his senior year in high school. He was working as a waiter at Pizza Hut. While they were making his name tag, the label maker got broken and instead of printing Dave it printed Dav and the name got stuck. As Dav Pilkey, he entered Ken State University as an art major where his freshman English teacher complimented his creative writing skills and encouraged him to write books. Thinking that it was an idea with some merit, he created a children’s book entitled, “World War Won” and entered it in a competition. World War Won was awarded the grand prize and Pilkey became a published author at the age of nineteen.
From then on he continued writing books for children. Some of his works that are available here in the Grade School LRC are:
- The Adventures of Captain Underpants
- The adventures of Ook and Gluk : kung-fu cavemen from the future
- Captain underpants and the sensational saga of sir stinks-a-lot
- Captain Underpants and the wrath of the wicked wedgie woman
- The all new Captain Underpants extra-crunchy book o’ fun 2
- Captain Underpants and the attack of the talking toilets
- Captain Underpants and the big, bad battle of the Bionic Booger Boy, part 1 : the night of the nasty nostril nuggets
- Captain Underpants and the invasion of the incredibly naughty cafeteria ladies from outer space (and the subsequent assault of the equally evil lunchroom zombie nerds
- Captain Underpants and the big, bad battle of the Bionic Booger Boy, part 2 : the revenge of the ridiculous Robo-Boogers
- Captain Underpants and the perilous plot of Professor Poopypants
- Captain Underpants and the preposterous plight of the purple potty people
- Captain Underpants and the revolting revenge of the Radioactive Robo-Boxers
- Captain Underpants and the terrifying return of Tippy Tinkletrousers : the ninth epic novel
- Captain Underpants and the tyrannical retaliation of the Turbo Toilet 2000
- Dog Man
- Ricky Ricotta’s mighty robot vs. the stupid stinkbugs from Saturn
- Ricky Ricotta’s mighty robot vs. the mutant mosquitoes from Mercury
- Ricky Ricotta’s mighty robot vs. the mecha-monkeys from Mars
- Ricky Ricotta’s mighty robot vs. the Uranium unicorns from Uranus
- Ricky Ricotta’s mighty robot vs. the voodoo vultures from Venus